We understand the internet can be funny at times as different top-level reviewers tend to provide different opinions on different aspects of a product which makes it difficult sometimes to decide. Hence, we provide a one-stop platform containing the compilation of every reviewer’s views on a product to help you better understand what the entire community on the internet thinks.
ORDINARY TECH RATING SCALE (OTRS)We understand it can get a little tricky even for a reviewer to exactly explain how they feel a particular aspect of a gadget is. Top reviewers get to have their hands on a lot of products and they’ll have to explain how they feel about a particular aspect of a product through words. We study the emotion, enthusiasm and use of strong words by a reviewer and convert that into a number system ranking from 0 to 10 with 10 being perfect and 0 being the opposite.
Why is the Acer Helios 300 popular?
The Acer Helios 300 had stunned the US market when it newly arrived as it provided hardware at a price no one else offered. For a well-packed duration of time, the Acer Helios had no competition. The Helios 300 was launched at a price premium of 1199USD (Rs.90.500) and what surprised us, even more, was that on a Black Friday sale, the Acer Helios 300 was on offer to be purchased at an even lower 999USD (Rs.75,400). This was enough to win the market as the best, unbeatable gaming laptop in the market.
Design language and Appearance
- 2.39 Kg body weight with a Power cable which weighs around 590 Grams.
- 36cm long x 25.4cm depth x 2.3cm height
- Screams gamer design
- 79% screen to body ratio with thin bezels.
- Side bezels are very thin but the top bezel is not and it also houses a 720p webcam which is of average quality
- Fair bit screen flexing. Metal lid.
- Blue accents on the top lid with a blue-colored predator logo.
- 4 zone RGB backlit keyboards. ( base models doesn’t). 15x15mm keys
- 10.7 x 7.8 cm trackpad.
- Separate turbo button to overclock and enter gaming mode.
- Four USB 3.2 ports, of which one is Type-C with 1 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Dedicated HDMI and mini DisplayPort port
- One ethernet port
- No card reader found.
Overall, a strong sturdy gamer-ish design with no hard corners. Well designed with blue accents all around. Personally, we love the two heat vents.
Lets see what the top reviewers have to say about the Acer Helios 300.
|-DAVE LEE “This thing is built really well for this kind of price point”||9|
|-MATHEW MONIZ “Build feels kind of premium” ” The flex on top isn’t too bad”||6|
|-GADGET BYTE: the build quality gives out a very premium feel”||9|
|-JARRODS TECH “there was a little flex to the keyboard but the body was sturdy and |
not an issue”
This is a great score for a laptops build quality coming from all the top reviewers. So, we can easily guarantee that Acer Helios 300 has a good build.
- 15.6 inch Full HD IPS display.
- Comes with 60Hz and 144Hz options.
- AU Optronics B156HAN08.2 panel ( this is common in most mid-level laptop)
- 94% SRGP
- 67% NTSC
- 73% AdobeRGB
- 312 nits with 800:1 contrast ratio
- White point: 7700 K
- Black on max brightness: 0.38 cd/m2
- 3ms response time.
- Noticeable backlight bleeding while watching darker content.
Lets see what the top reviewers say about the display of the Acer Helios 300.
|-DAVE LEE “for 1200bucks a good screen like this is really nice”||9|
|-GADGET BYTE “it is colorful; vivid and perfect for media consumption”||9|
|-JARRODS TECH “Above average results for a gaming laptop at this price point”||7|
This once again is a great score on our Ordinary Techie Rating Scale which should be helpful enough to easily decide that the screen is pretty good in the Acer Helios 300.
- Intel Core i7 9750H Coffee Lake series, Intel Core i5 9300H for CPU.
- i7 variant comes with a CPU undervolt factory set for thermals.
- RTX 2070 8GB DDR6, GTX 1660ti 6GB DDR6 and GTX 1650with 4GB DDR5 memory.
- 16GB and 8GB DDR4 RAM.
- Variety of SSD configuration with 1TB 5400 RPM storage.
- Gigabit ethernet killer E2500
- 802.11AC WiFi with Bluetooth 5.
- 3DMark 11: 17990 (Graphics – 21224, Physics – 12643);
- 3DMark 13 – Fire Strike: 14418 (Graphics – 16359, Physics – 14588);
- 3DMark 13 – Port Royal: 3558;
- 3DMark 13 – Time Spy: 6243 (Graphics – 6240, CPU – 6541);
- Uniengine Superposition – 1080p Extreme: 3825;
- PassMark: Rating: 5593, CPU mark: 20835, 3D Graphics Mark: N/A;
- Handbrake 1.3.1 (4K to 1080p encode): 32.92 average fps;
- PCMark 10: 5771 (Essentials – 9620 , Productivity – 7443 , Digital Content Creation – 6598);
- GeekBench 4 64-bit: Single-Core: 5126, Multi-core: 23514;
- GeekBench 5.0.1 64-bit: Single-Core: 1110, Multi-core: 6053;
- CineBench R15 (best run): CPU 1209 cb, CPU Single Core 172 cb;
- CineBench R20 (best run): CPU 2593 CB, 404 cb;
- x264 HD Benchmark 4.0 32-bit: Pass 1 – 205.38 fps, Pass 2–73.64 fps.
- x265 HD Benchmark 64-bit: 50.62 s.
- Blender 2.82 – BMW Car scene- CPU Compute: 5m 16s (Turbo);
- Blender 2.82 – BMW Car scene- GPU Compute: 1m 18s (CUDA), 26s (OPTIX);
- Blender 2.82 – Classroom scene – CPU Compute: 16m 14s (Turbo);
- Blender 2.82 – Classroom scene – GPU Compute: 5m 19s (CUDA), 2m 52s (OPTIX);
- Luxmark 3.1 – Luxball HDR – OpenCL CPUs + GPUs score: 2519;
Now lets see what the top reviewers have to say.
|-DAVE LEE “This machine has a fantastic thermal performance” ” Basically any kind of game you throw at this, it is going to run quite well”||9|
|-MATHEW MONIZ” Acer is doing a great job keeping the thermals cool” Under full Load, the CPU performs at full swing”||9|
|-GADGET BYTE “Beast of a laptop”||10|
|-JARRODS TECH” Outperforms even higher-spec models” ” Exceeds my expectations in pretty much every aspect”||9|
|– ALL OTHERS||10|
These are great scores and should easily explain how well this laptop performs for it’s price range.
- Most powerful in this price segment
- The best cooling system in this price segment
- Great Display with the highest 144hz refresh rate with good color accuracy.
- Best build quality in this price range with an aluminium top.
- Fastest storage in this segment though others too come with an NVME SSD storage.
- Easy to open the back panel.
- Easy to upgrade.
- Aggressive pricing.
- Gamer centric design with RGB keyboard and most models with a blue-backlit keyboard.
- Backlight bleeding is high while watching dark content on screen.
- No thunderbolt 3
- Very loud fan noises when running at Turbo mode.
- 58W battery.
The Acer Helios 300 is a solid well-built laptop and every top reviewer on youtube seems to love most aspects of the machine. What compelled every YouTubers reaction was the pricing at which the Helios 300 is being sold. Overall, this is a great laptop and fares well even in June 2020 standards. We’ve gotta wait till Acer reveals the Helios 300 2020 version to see what new has been updated. Till then, the HElios 300 is a worthy contender with great offerings. if you live in India, we highly suggest that you get this laptop from the US if you visit there or have relatives living there. For the Indian market price, the Helios 300 starts from Rs. 70,000 and goes all the way up over Rs1,30,000. Given the performance the laptop offers, we, from the Indian market wouldn’t have any complaints but after knowing the laptop costs INR 75000 in the US market makes it a little harder to digest the pricing in India.